More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Spinning Wheel

Ok, here's the spinning wheel pictures I promised you. I finally got the pictures last night, and I'm still debating which is the better buy. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ashford Traditional.

This first one is an Older Norwegian Traditional. The flyer and bobbin (I always want to write boobin for some reason..talk about a faux pas!) are off at the moment. She says they fit fine, but they do wiggle a bit and seem a little loose. She's not sure how it spins as she bought it this summer and spent her whole time gardening, so ..no spinning time. :D She's going to try it out this weekend and let me know. It's older and has had much love, this one is $90. No extra bobbins or lazy kate.



This is the Ashford Traditional. There's no nylon cord...it's a cotton drive belt. But that can be easily remedied. There's a lazy kate and extra bobbins for an extra $20. This one seems to be my better choice as I'm a beginning spinner. And at $150 for the wheel, plus the $20 for bobbins and lazy kate it's $170.



Any thoughts from the pros out there?

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I'm not a pro but I do have some thoughts. The Ashford is a known commodity and it looks nice and seems to be in good working order. However, I think a double drive, which the norwegian should be, is a more flexible wheel. You can spin finer and do more with it. The price is great and you could always have bobbins made. But I'd want to see the flyer assembly before I made a final decision.

Batty said...

I don't have any thoughts as I'm anything but a pro, but they're both very nice-looking wheels!

Valerie said...

They are both beautiful wheels. The only thoughts I have is that I would see what she says about how it spins. You mentioned it being wobbly. I dunno if it applies to wheels too but anything wobbly is usually bad.

Knitted Gems said...

Not a one. I just popped in to wish you good luck.