More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Monday, November 12, 2007

Yo Gabba Gabba - Muno

Ok, this Christmas is going to be a very knitted and crafted Christmas here. I guess with the recent scare of all those recalled toys from China, and the fact I had to pry a very beloved Polly Pocket doll set from my daughters fingers because of it, I have a hard time trusting what's coming out of the factories. And it's not from dollar stores either. These are Matelle and other large brand names. My daughter saved her own money and spent $15 on the Polly Pocket set. Then I had to take it away.

Toys are scary now! Lead poisoning, magnets, and now this! I admit I'm freaked out. So, I took action and made my own mainstream toy.

If you have a little kid who loves watching Yo Gabba Gabba, you'd know who Muno is. He's the "Tall and Friendly" Cyclops. It's a cute show honestly, and teaches kids some great things...like manners. :D Here's the pattern...


Needles: #5 & #3 dpn set of 4

Gauge is not very important. I made this on the fly and
didn't bother with a gauge.

Measurements. 8 1/2" (You can easily alter this pattern to make a bigger
doll. Just work with larger needles and thicker yarn and work the body longer.)


Yarn:

I used a sport weight yarn for the body. I used
a wool, but I would highly suggest a cotton instead.

Orange/red for the body.
black and white for the eye.

Fingering weight yarn for the eye.


Bobble: Knit into st, but leave st on left needle.
Y.O., K into same st. Y.O. K into same st again. Drop st
off of left needle (5 sts). Turn work. Purl these 5 sts.
Turn. Knit. Turn, Purl. Turn Knit. Slip the 4 sts over
the last st knitted of bobble st.

k f&b: Knit into front and back of the same stitch making an increase.


Eye:

#3 needles, Using blackC.O. 6 sts evenly onto 3 dpns. (2 on each needle)

Round 1 (and all odd rows): K
Round 2: K f&b of each st. (12 sts)
Round 4: Change to white *K1, Kf&b of next st.Repeat from * (18 sts)
Round 6: *K2, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (24 sts)
Round 8: *K3, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (30 sts)
Round 10: *K4, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (36 sts)

Body

To make bobble sequence, it's best to stagger them and
make them random. Hence why I didn't write it into the pattern.
To make room for the eye and mouth, only work bobbles onto needle 2 &3
for the first 2" of the piece.

#5 needles C.O. 6 sts evenly onto 3 dpns. (2 on each needle)

Join in the round, make sure not to twist.

Round 1 (and all odd rounds): K
Round 2: K f&B of each st. (12 sts)
Round 4: *K1, Kf&b of next st.Repeat from * (18 sts)
Round 6: *K2, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (24 sts)
Round 8: *K3, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (30 sts)
Round 10: *K4, Kf&b of next st. Repeat from * (36 sts)

Knit in the round until body measures 6" from top.

(Halfway through the body, sew on the eye. It makes it easier if it's
halfway through vs. the body being completely done. This way you can manage
the needle better.)

Legs:

Knit across 18 sts (put remaining 18 sts on waste yarn)

Divide remaining sts evenly onto 3 needles. 6 sts on each needle. On
needle 3, C.O. 4 sts using backward loop method. (This is done in the
crotch area just as done with gloves) (22 sts)

Knit in the round until leg measures 2 1/2"

K3, k2tog around. Knit remaining sts.
K
K2, K2tog around. Knit remaining sts.
K
K1, K2tog around. Knit remaining sts.
K
K2tog around.

Cut thread and thread through remaining sts with darning needle.
Weave into body. Don't worry about threading it into sts, it will
be hidden inside the body.

Stuff body and leg through other leg opening.

Put remaining sts evenly onto 3 needles. (6sts on each).
On last needle pick up and knit into the 4 crotch sts.
(22 sts)

Work as other leg.

(When you get halfway through the decrease, stuff leg.
Stuff a little firmer, that way when you finish decreasing you can scrunch
the leg and even out the stuffing.)

Arms: (make 2)

C.O. 15 sts Leave 12" C.O. thread

Divide evenly onto 3 dpns. 5 sts.

Knit in the round until piece measures 2 1/2"

Dec.
*K3, K2tog. Repeat from * to end
Knit
*K2, K2tog. Repeat from * to end
Knit
*K1, K2tog. Repeat from * to end
*K2tog to end.

Cut thread and weave in through bottom. Stuff piece
and sew onto body.

Finishing:
The mouth is an embroidered chain st. with a black yarn.

The teeth can either be knitted or cut out of fleece. I would prefer fleece
myself, but I don't have any white so I had to knit them. They turned out a
little large and gangly, but it makes it cute!

Teeth. (make 2)

#3 Needles.

C.O. 1
K f&b of st. (2 sts)
K
K f&b or both sts. (4 sts)
K
B.o.

Sew above mouth

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Adorable! I wish I had a little one to knit for!

Monika said...

I can't believe kids like this little monster! ;o) But I'm not up to date on the kiddy shows. It's cute though.

Valerie said...

You know, I read about that last week! I can't believe it. I mean of all the things to overlook, you overlook the fact that your toys are saturated in a date rape drug. Come on now, pay attention! Great idea on making your own toys!

P.S.. Grim and I didn't break up. I was making a comment about searching for templates. Every template I saw was about people being dumped, or how a heart longed for another, etc. I was just wondering if it was natural to create a blog with a sliced arm saying something like " I bleed my love for you" because you were dumped. You think I kid? Nope.. it's on a random blogger template site I was looking at. I'm all for freedom of expression, but who wants that as their template. Just my Opinion.

Batty said...

Awesome!

The Coach's Wife said...

That is the most adorable thing ever! I googled the toys and your blog was the first thing that popped up! Would you consider making one of these to sell?

projektleiterin said...

That one is cute! I wanted to queue it with my Ravelry link, but it seems the pattern is not online yet? Put it up and make some more people happy. ;)