More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Sunday, May 13, 2007

La Dentelle Belle Scarf


As Promised! La Dentelle Belle Scarf (I was going to call it Beau Lacet, but my somewhat fluent in French Husband says that Beau is the masculine form of Beautiful, instead I should use Belle.
Lacet means to tie my shoes so I should use Dentelle.) If it isn't perfect French I'm sorry, if I'm wrong let me know. Or should I say, if he's wrong let me know.:D

So, La Dentelle Belle (Beautiful Lace Scarf) it is.

This is for my mother for Mother's Day. Sadly, she's working a 12 hour shift today at the hospital. She loves scarves, and who can blame her, a lovely scarf fluttering carelessly around the neck is enough to make anyone feel beautiful. It's like sexy underwear for your neck :D.


Now, I gave only the chart for this piece, since I find that using written rows is not only confusing, but it can be annoying specially if the piece is rather complicated. So I avoided it altogether. If you want, I can type it out, just write me an email and I'll post the written instructions.



I also used a larger size needle to knit this since I wanted a fluttery feel to it. You can use smaller needles, but I like the gauzy look to it.

Yarn: Fingering Weight Yarn

Gauge: 6 sts = 1" in St. st (After blocking)

Needles: #5 Straight

Finished Measurements: 10" x 40" (After blocking.) I made this scarf shorter since I liked the look of a shorter scarf adorned with a shawl pin.


C.O. 55 stitches with #5 straight needles.

Work in pattern, (Right edging first, then middle, then left.)

The middle panel is a repeat of 10+1 stitches. Work the middle panel for a repeat of 3 times. (The panel body is outlined in the red box.) Then when you get to the last stitch, work the stitch in the chart that is outside the red box.

Every even row worked in this pattern is; K2, purl to last 2 stitches, K2.


If, after reading this chart you are not sure as to what some of the terms mean, please check out this page at knitty.com.


Right Edging

Middle

Update:
If anyone had problems with the 13th row, it was a misprint on my end. It starts off with a K2tog, and ends with a K1. I fixed this so there should be no further problems.



Left Edging

As I said above, I worked this piece until it measured 40". By all means, make it as long as you want.

B.O.

Weave in ends and block.



Enjoy your new scarf or give it to that special beautiful someone.

Update:

Well, I had gotten an email from a lovely lady who asked for the written instructions to La Dentelle Belle, so here they are below. I tried to make it as easy to read as possible, because if you're like me and get lost easily is massive amounts of abbreviations and rows, then you'd like something that makes it easy to see.

The instructions in blue are the edgings, while the ones in black are the middle panel.

~PM~ = place marker
~m~ = slip marker

Row 1: K2, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k5, yo, k3, ~PM~ (*k1,yo,k2, slp1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, k2, yo) Repeat from (*) to last st. ~PM~ K1, k3, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, yo, k2


Row 2: And every even row, k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2


Row 3: K1, slip1, k1, psso, yo, slip1, k1, psso, yo, k2, slip 2 stitches tog. as if to knit, k1, psso, k4,~m~ (* k1, yo, k2, slp 1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, k2, yo,) Repeat from * to last st. ~m~ K1, K4, slp 1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k1


Row 5: K1, slp 1, k1, psso, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k2, k2tog, k3, ~m~ (*k1, yo, k2, slp1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, k2, yo) Repeat from * to last st. K1, ~m~ K3, slp1, k1, psso, k2, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k1


Row 7: K1, slp1, k1, psso, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k2, k2tog, k2,~m~ (* k2, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k1) Repeat from * to last st, k1. ~m~ k2, slp1, k1, psso, k2 yo k2tog, yo, k2tog, k1


Row 9: K1, slp1, k1, psso, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k2, k2tog, k1, ~m~ (k3, yo , k1, slp1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k2) Repeat from * to last st, k1,~m~ K1, slp1, k1, psso, k2, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k1


Row 11: K2, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k1, yo, k2, k2tog, ~m~ (*k4, yo, slp1, k2tog, psso, yo, k3) Repeat from * to last st, k1, ~m~ slp1, k1, psso, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, k2


Row 13: K2, yo, slp1, k1, psso, yo, k3, yo, k3, ~m~ (*K2tog, yo) Repeat from * to last stitch, K1~m~ k3, yo, k3, yo, k2tog, yo, k2


I double checked it all so it should correct, if not and you see a mistake, please let me know. :D



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also as a note for those who are interested , Kirsten and I are starting a KAL for people who are interested in spinning yarn for a shawl. It's any shawl you'd like, but the concept is the same. Spin yarn, knit lace, and have fun. Click the picture to be taken there.


So, if you're interested email either Kirsten or me and let us know!

20 comments:

Valerie said...

That looks positively beautiful!! -=applauds=-

Kirsten said...

Really, really beautiful!

Monika said...

This is the scarf I've benn waiting for!!! Thanks a million times for this beautiful pattern! Haven't seen such a wonderful thing in a long time. I'm glad I found your blog (through Kirsten).

Carole Knits said...

That scarf is gorgeous and just what I've been looking for - something new and different and wonderful. Thank you for the pattern!

Achrisvet said...

Beautiful scarf. I seem to remember from my high school French that Belle is one of the adjectives that usually preceeds the noun, while most French adjectives come after. So it would be La Belle Dentelle. But maybbe either way is OK. I was taught to remember BAGS - beauty, age goodness and size - are the adjectives that preceed nouns.

I can imagine widening this scarf for a stole. Very nice.

Carole Knits said...

I started the scarf yesterday with the charted directions and I had trouble with row 13. Looking at your written directions today I can see the error - I think - row 13 is k2tog all the way across the middle section but the chart has a k1 at the beginning of each repeat. I think that's the mistake but if you get a chance could you let me know if that's the case? Thanks!

Annie said...

Beautiful scarf -- I've got the perfect yarn for it too.

And I think "belle" is one of the few French adjectives that gets to come before it's noun... but it's been so long that I can't be sure.

Deb said...

Seeing your scarf made me want to knit one up right away! Progress so far is great. Thanks for the gorgeous pattern. You can see mine here: http://streganeedlehook.blogspot.com/

Knitting Up A Storm said...

Beautiful scarf! thanks for the pattern! :)

Laura said...

Ohhhhhhh Gorgeous! I came over from Carole's blog.... her scarf is lovely but the pictures didn't really show the lace detail so well - it's SO YUM! Now I'm thinking maybe I want to make this... and frog something else to do it. Do you think it would work well to hold two strands of laceweight together throughout or would the stitches be difficult to execute?

Teresa said...

Hi Laura,

Actually, if you use a rather large needle the lace should be just fine. It'll be rather wide, but that's ok, it'll add a lot to the drape of the scarf.

Angelika said...

I found your scarf on Monika's blog and found it a challenge, since she seems to have a little trouble with it.

WandaWoman said...

Beautiful scarf. I'm curious what yardage is required for this scarf? Or do you recall approximately how much you used?

Chris said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us.

Siddis back home said...

Thanks for the pattern. This is on my to do list! Happy knitting!

Estelle said...

Lace is sooooo beautiful, thanks alot for this very delicate project!

You should say la belle dentelle instead of la dentelle belle tho. Anyway it is still very beautiful ;)

Knitcrazy said...

Your scarf truely is Beautiful!!!
Thank You so much for your Pattern!!

Penny

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitting-for-kids



http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

clau76 said...

I came from Ravelry. Your pattern is wonderful. And yes it is de la belle dentelle. (I'm french).

Sharon said...

Lovely scarf, and I think perfect for my Nana. Thank you! And thanks to Monika for leading me to you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern. This is on my to do list!really show the lace detail so well.
Silk Scarf