More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Monday, February 19, 2007

Ugly

Ok, I'm not sure what to call this exactly. It's a teddy bear/piggy/cat thing. I just wanted to call it fugly...cause it is. It's great for babies..(exclude the buttons and just embroider the eyes). This one is just sort of a memory piece for my son. I call him Oogie bear, and I made this so he can forever remember the silly name I called him. LOL!

Also, this is the first pattern I've ever put out into the "public", so forgive me if it isn't up to par.


Gauge: 4 stitches = 1"

Needles: #8 (or size to obtain the gauge)

Yarn: Worsted weight yarn

Finished size: 7 1/2" X 9 1/2"

Other Materials: Polyfill
Darning needle
Other color yarn for sewing

Body

Cast On (C.O.) 30 stitches. Knit in stockinette stitch (St st) for a total of 1".

At the beginning of the next two rows bind off (B.O.) 6 stitches. There will be a total of 18 stitches after this.

Now this is the tricky part. You have to do an immediate increase. So the very next row you knit (or purl) one stitch and knit (or purl) increase one stitch. Knit (or purl) to the last stitch and increase one more. This is a two stitch increase in one row. Now..turn your work and do it one more time. (22 stitches)

Knit in St st. until the piece measures 4 1/2" over all.

Then you do a two stitch decrease (two stitches in one row). Basically this is like above, but reverse. You knit (or purl) one stitch and then slip two stitches from left hand needle (one at a time) as if to knit and then knit both together. This is called a slip slip knit or ssk. (If you are purling you do a slp 1, p1, psso. Slip one stitch from the left hand needle to the right. Purl on stitch and then Pass slipped stitch over (psso) the purl one.) Then knit (or purl) to the last 3 stitches and knit (or purl) 2 stitches together (K2 Tog.) (18 stitches)

Turn work and repeat.

Knit decrease on the knit side and purl decrease on the purl side. I usually say knit or purl because you might end up on a wrong side (the purl side) or Right side (the knit side) when you begin to decrease.


Now here's another tricky part. At the beginning of the next row perform a knitted cast on by knitting into the first stitch. Instead of slipping the stitch off the needle you put it on the left hand needle in front of the stitch you just knitted. Do this 6 times. Another words using knitted cast on, C.O. 6 stitches. (24 stitches)

Now, knit this row and at the end of the row C.O. 6 stitches via backward loop. This is simple, you simply loop the yarn over the needle. Make sure you twist the yarn a bit before putting it on the needle. Turn work and knit the arms until the measure 1".

Now you B.O. 8 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows. (14 stitches).

Now turn work and repeat the increase as above.

Knit/purl one, increase 1 stitch. Knit/purl to last stitch, increase 1. Turn work and repeat. (18 stitches)

Knit in St. st. until piece measures 9".

Decrease as before.

Knit/purl one stitch, ssk/psso. Knit/purl to end, knit/purl 2 together. Turn work and repeat. (14 stitches)

B.O. all stitches.

Make 2

Nose: C.O. 10 Stitches and knit until piece measures 1 1/2". B.O.

Finishing:
Now..before you sew the two pieces together, use a blanket stitch and a different color yarn and stitch the nose onto the right side of one of the body pieces. This will be the front.

Before you close the piece, stuff it with polyfill (only a little) and then finishing sewing.

Remember to sew on the eyes and nose before any of the pieces are sewn together, otherwise it is difficult and you might not get the desired look you want.

Using the blank stitch sew the front and back together. Remember to leave at least a 2" opening so you can lightly stuff the piece. (If you over stuff the piece, it might look odd and not be "cuddly"). Then, finish sewing and viola! You have a pig, bear, cat thing. Congrats!

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Aw, I don't think it's ugly - it's very cute! I hope your son likes his little Oogie! (Your kids are also very cute!!)

Teresa said...

:) Thank you! I'm glad you think it's not ugly. I couldn't help but laugh when I first finished it.

Thank you..I think my kids are quite cute too..messy and loud, but..cute. :D

Marie said...

This is sooo cute. I am going to make one for my 22 yr old. She collects gothic dolls and such, she will love this.

Unknown said...

Not only do I appreciate the pattern (as I am instantly whipping one up for my nephew) but I greatly appreciate how you linked all terms that a newer knitter like myself may not be familiar with.

I will definitely make more of these! Thank you!

Jorun said...

It is super cute!

I will present the pattern to a knitting pupil tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Awww the moment i saw it i feel in love with it.Even though im fifteen and just beginning im gonna try my hardest to complete this porject.haha