More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Monday, February 26, 2007

Bright baby block

This block is great for people who are beginning any multiple color work in knitting. It's small, cute and very quick to knit up. Instead of using a foam block, I instead used just normal polyfil. This makes it squishy enough for little hands to grab and hold onto. At young ages (like 4 months) their motor skills are developing and they tend to have a little challenge when grabbing anything.


Needles: #5

Yarn: Sport weight

Gauge: 6sts = 1"

Dimensions: 3" X 3"

C.O. 20 stitch.

Knit in pattern until swatch measures 3".

(Sounds easy? Well, it is. :) )

Below here are the charts I used for the block.


(This red and pink chart is actually a repeat of 3 blocks on the chart. Two red blocks and one pink block, then repeated. I wanted to give you a good idea of what the block looks like after it's been knitted a little. )












This triangle is 12 stitches wide. When knitting this swatch, knit 4 rows in green and then begin the triangle row. Knit 4 stitches of green and begin triangle pattern.


Now, here is a diagram for the construction of the block itself. Using a mattress stitch sew the pieces together. Make sure that blocks of the same color do NOT touch each other. When sewing the block together sew the insides together until only one slit is open. You don't need a lot of room in order to stuff the block, and this way, there's only one edge to sew close. Using a mattress stitch sew the seem together.

This is a very simple, easy and straight forward pattern. You're only making 6 different color swatches and sewing them together in a block. With the bright contrasting colors, babies LOVE them since it adds to visual stimulation and all around good fun.

5 comments:

Melissa Grazia said...

That is adorable! Both the block and the baby... :)

♥ KNITTING ART said...

SWEET !
Thanks or the all pictures.
Hope to visit me!

Dawnell said...

Hi, I was googling baby block patterns and I found you. I just wanted to say thank you. I'm making blocks as centerpieces for a friend's baby shower and these are perfect. I know you posted this a long time ago, but I wanted you to know that I really appreciate it. They're great.

Boro Girl~slinky~ said...

I love it! I was looking for a baby pattern for my dad'sa friend's newborn. (I'm a kid knitter) I've decided to do this for the newborn!

Unknown said...

These are great. I'm making some for Christmas presents. All my friends seem to have babies this year! I might try to spell out their names on them. Thanks!