More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sheild Knot Bracelet

Now a bit of history. The shield knot is something of a universal symbol that has been used from the Celts to the Norwegians. It's symbolism is one of protection and warding. It also stood for the four directions (North, East, South, West). This universal symbol, originating from Mesopotamia, was one that I've felt an affinity throughout my life. Maybe because in a way, I've felt the need for a little extra protection in my life or maybe because of my Norse roots. Whatever it is, I bring it to you here as a way for you to make your own little antiquated piece of protection.

Yarn: I used Knit Picks Palette, in Lilac and Cream (Any wool fingering weight yarn is okay.)

Gauge: 8sts = 1"

Needles: #3 (I used dpns since the piece is rather small.)

Other Notions: Exacto knife, 4 buttons, sewing needle and some extra yarn or wool to sew with.

Measurements: Before felting 3' X 10 1/4"

C.O. 27 sts in M.C.

Row 1: Knit in M.C. (Lilac)

Row 2: Knit in C.C. (Cream)

Row 3: Knit in grid #2 all the way across

Row 4: Knit in C.C.

Then begin Charts 3 and 4 on the first four and last four stitches.

Work until piece measures 4". Then begin shield knot grid.

Note: When doing so there will be 2 stitches between grids #3&4 and the shield knot grid that are worked in main color. This will be 4 stitches total worked in main color through the working of the shield grid.

Then work another 3 1/2" using grids 3 &4.

Then repeat rows 1-4, but work these in reverse.

Row1: Knit in C.C.

R0w 2: Knit in grid #2 all the way across

Row 3: Knit in C.C. (Cream)

Row 4: Knit in M.C. (Lilac)

B.O.

Finishing:
Now that you've finished the bracelet, you can weave in all the loose ends. Since this is such a small piece, you can felt it either by hand or washing machine. However you choose to felt this bracelet (or pulse warmer) make sure that the stitches have disappeared afterwards.

Now that it is felted, allow it to dry in a place that allows it to keep it's flat shape. Now, with the exacto knife and cutting board. Cut two slits at one end about 1/2" long. It's probably a good idea to do a button hole stitch around the openings since you're probably going to put a lot of wear onto the button holes and you wouldn't want it to warp or tear from constant use.


Now that you've finished the button holes themselves you can attach the buttons. I used 4 buttons. That way it's actually adjustable. You can add a second set of button holes to the other side above the other two in order to have all 4 buttons buttoned.

Now you have a great piece of portable protection on your wrist. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow that is beautiful! I am a huge fan of celtic knot work. Something about it is just amazingly peaceful to me. Maybe one day, I'll learn patterns and make one. =)

Ulla said...

Thanks for the history about the symbol and thanks for a pattern so lovely
Ulla in the north of Sweden

domestika said...

Oh, I am so impressed! Love a good Celtic knot... but I'd need some wrist protection for sure (if you know what I mean) if I tried to knit myself these - let's just say I tend to get a bit frustrating when trying to knit colours into a pattern... Simple stripes? That's cool. Checkerboard? Barely do-able. Celtic knots? I kneel at your feet in admiration!