More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Friday, April 27, 2007

Quacktacular!

Well, yesterday was my 24th birthday. It was actually quite uneventful until my husband got home from work. He wanted to give me the greatest birthday present a man could give to his wife. A couple hours alone, with $100 in a Barnes & Nobles and Micheal's. This was great I thought. I would have a few hours to peruse the store without the whiny canter that my children have a tendency on bringing. A few hours without the insesant babbling of a 4 year old, a few hours without the need to clean up projectile vomit off the wall, a few hours without having to tend to someone else's needs. A few hours ALL to myself.

Then he dropped me off.

I had no idea what to do with myself.

I wandered around the book store for about an hour trying to figure out what to do. "Should I get a coffee?" "Should I sit and read?" I've never been alone before (post-children), what do I do?

Then something weird happened.

"Is that Olivia I hear?" I seriously thought I heard my daughter. Then I realized it was just my imagination. Now THAT is an indication to you need a break!

So I started to relax. I bought a book and read it in the Starbucks while slurping down a de-la-something-I can't pronounce Frapocino. Seriously, how do they expect me to order it. I was actually looking for the English translation beneath the giant (what I think were) French words. I just pointed and said, "I want that brown stuff in a medium cup."

This is the book I bought. It's really good. I WAS going to buy myself a copy of Victorian Lace Today, but wow, $30. I had seen it that morning for $18 on amazon. I'm frugal. I know.
Along with the book I got primo. I really want to start making stitch markers. I did a few last night for a friend who knits and I completely forgot to take pictures. Let's just say, they were really cute.


And beads. I definitely need to get a jewelers pliers with the rounded tips. The flat ones with the griped nose just doesn't give you a great finish to the stitch markers.

See all the pretty beads. Shiny.


Oh, and I got a little farther on my Mother's scarf. Still haven't a name. I was going to call it Bella Donna, which is Italian for beautiful lady...but my husband made a good point. Deadly nightshade (a poisonous plant) is also called belladonna and just isn't a great name for it. Shucks, and for a minute I thought I had it. I love it. When I'm done I'll post the pattern. I really really like this scarf. Kinda wish I was knitting it for myself, but alas, as is with most nice stuff I make, I usually end up giving it away. :)


Oh, and check it out. I saw this on the fence outside my window this morning. A Mallard. He just sat there for a while looking around and was seemingly unimpressed. I figure there's a pond near by and he was just checking out places to either get food or make a nest. Either way, this was kinda cool. I was going to name him Buckly Duckly, but...he flew away. Oh well.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! A little belated but birthday well wishes all the same. I can't wait to see the Stitch Markers you make. On another note, I don't have children but I am a big sister. In fact the only child I am usually around is my 11 year old brother. So because of my always yelling and fighing with my brother, my natural reaction in a store is to want to yell at everyone else's children to stop acting like monkeys. -=giggle=- Of course I don't but I have a very low tolerance for children screaming and running choatically in stores.

Anyways. -=giggle=- Again Happy Birthday and I hope it was a wonderful one!