More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Monday, March 19, 2007

Knitting is Meditative

I've come to realize that knitting is a great meditative act. I used to meditate on a regular basis. It was calming and it helped to find your inner peace. Within the last year I've actually stopped all together. My husband would comment on my lack of meditating, wondering if I was feeling it lacking in my life in a negative way.

"Nope, I honestly don't really notice it all that much. I wonder why."

At this point I would pick up my needles and putter away making a sweater, sock or whatever the current project was. I would drift off in complete relaxation. I wasn't worried about bills or the cat's current stress related disorder. I would just sit there and knit. I felt terrible that I was giving up my Zen seeking sessions for a more material based hobby.

It was then that I realized that I didn't really actually leave my meditation on my mat in the back room. I substituted it for something much different. I am completely in agreement when I hear people say knitting is NOT a hobby, it's a way of life. It's addictive in a way that you find your center. You seem to not care that your laundry is piling up or that you had an extra slice of pizza at supper. No, when you knit you forget about all those mundane things and you find something inside yourself.

And in the end, you get an awesome pair of socks too. :D