More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Some new Yarn


I decided to work with dying some yarn that I had on hand. I read knitty's article on dying yarn with packets of kool aid. I really wanted to give this a try, so I decided to use some what yarn I had on hand from knit picks. I used the legs of the chair to unwind the yarn to make it easier to dye it.

It actually looked quite pretty like this. Afterwards I twisted it into a nice skein until I could dye it.



Sadly, I didn't even think of taking pictures during the dying faze. Maybe I was afraid you'd see what a mess I was making and think poorly of me :D. Bad news was, the kool aid semi-permanently dyed my counter tops. But, with diluted bleach it came up rather quickly.

This is the yarn drying afterwards on my ugly closet doors. (Sorry, not fond of the yellowish wood.) I had to lay towels underneath so it would make a big mess on the carpeting. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

...and finally, spun into a ball. Ok, I don't have a ball winder so I had to settle with a makeshift nostepinne (a large crochet hook) to wind it with.

..And viola! A knitted swatch! I'm excited, I think that these are going to make some awesome socks!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow that turned out beautiful! Great Job! I want to try coloring yarn but my kitchen really is a broom closet. I just don't think I have much room to do it.

Unknown said...

That turned out great. I have done this a bunch of time with my kids...they love it! I like your combo better...they always do one of each color...too much.