More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Now for some winter knitting

I guess the heat of summer finally got into me. I need a change! I can't stand the heat, but I love the fall and winter. I start wearing gloves, hats and scarves as soon as there's a chill in the air. I never used to, I used to be the kid at the bus stop furiously stuffing the stocking cap in my backpack because it messed up my "cool". Now I've turned into the worrisome mother plastering caps on my kids and constantly fretting over my husbands exposed ears.

I'm also tired of socks. It seems to be the thing to knit right when the heat waves of summer hit. People knit scarves right up until they can no longer take it. Well..why not knit a pair of mittens?! They're small, they're portable, and gosh darn it..people like them.


I'm not sure if you can see it here, but the mittens I'm knitting are actually three colors. Green, white and a rose color. Knitting the rose is going to be interesting. In the instructions she says NOT to join a new color, but cut an 8" piece of yarn and knit each section separately. How this works without carrying the yarn I can only guess. I'm assuming you just knit the section of rose and then twist it with the color following the rose stitches and then leave it and bring it back up on the next row. Like I said..I'm only guessing.
I love the green in it. It's Verdant Heather from knitpicks. The pattern calls for one ounce green and three ounces white. So far it's been pretty accurate to the pattern.

And here's the pattern book. It's from 1948. I don't even remember where I got it. I think I got it from my aunt. The pages are laminated so they're a little bit durable yet. (Oh..see those black and red ones up there in the corner?...those are my next project.)

And a nice blurry pic of the other side. :D

I'm not even sure if this book is still in print. It's so old and when I did a search for the author, nothing turned up accept on eBay. I'd love to get a newer copy of this book, but I think that's going to be a little difficult.

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

They look great. That seems kind of complicated with the rose colored bit.

Kirsten said...

What an amazing book!!! Lucky Teresa!

Valerie said...

I love the pattern. Those are going to look beautiful when you are done. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how to do a pattern like that.

Batty said...

Beautiful pattern and impressively even work. I'm still terrified of Fair Isle!