More beautiful Lace Shawl patterns for sale on Knituition.com

Monday, April 9, 2007

Yarn and food

This last week has been unbearable. Why you ask. Well, here's why. About two weeks ago my husband, children and I went out for a day of window shopping. We also decided to grab a quick lunch at the local fast food joint. Normally I abhor fast food. It's greasy, unappealing outside the menu pictures and fattening. Not to mention I don't know who's making it and/or what they did before they fondled my food. Well, we figured, once in a blue moon won't hurt.

pfftt! Well, the next day my daughter had gotten extremely sick. Like, vomiting and running a 102.5 fever. I called my mother like any good natured and desperate daughter would do. Not only because she's my mom, but also because she's a nurse. :D Her diagnosis...food poisoning. (At this moment I had to hand it to my husband, he said it was food poisoning the moment she looked a little green.)

So, for a couple of days she was not her normal self. It concerned me a lot when my normal rowdy daughter actually went to her room and crawled in bed for a nap! A four year old instituting her own nap!? Then, her fever left and she stopped vomiting after a few days.

Great right? Nope, then my husband, my daughter and I all come down with a terrible cold. Not the runny nose sore throat kind. Oh no. The itchy eyes, runny nose, can't think clearly, head is going to explode from headache, body feels like a ton, exhausted kind. For a whole week. I'm just recovering now.

...But on a good note. I've been spinning.

This is the Forest Merino and White Merino from Blue Goose Glen.


The book behind it was an old Teachers ledger that I found in a box. Inside is records of children's grades for each month.




Yeah, I've been living here for 9 months and am just unpacking my books. All due to the lack of a good bookcase. But now, I've found some things that are just awesome! Like this book with recipes pasted inside it. I'm not sure how old it is. But I did find a pamphlet inside about Wisconsin milk fairies from 1926.


And some awesome recipes inside. Probably from around the same time.

Pumpkin Butter

2 cups pumpkin, mashed and strained
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 slice lemon
1 cup white sugar

Simmer gently until thick, fill glasses or small jars and seal
with paraffin. It will keep a long time if merely covered with a
piece of paper.

Wow, the F.D.A. might not approve of the piece of paper, but it sounds delicious!

Tomato Rarebit

1/2 pound of soft cheese
1 teaspoon mustard
pepper, paprika
(how much, it doesn't say, so I'm assuming to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 to 1 cup tomato soup

Cut the cheese (enter polite giggling) into small pieces, add mixed
seasonings, and cook over a low fire until melted. Add enough
tomato soup to thin the mixture so that it may be poured on slices of toast.

...And a newspaper clipping of Mrs. Calvin Coolidge and recipes of wives of noted leaders of the country.


A Favorite Southern Chicken Pilau

Cut up and stew a fat hen in water enough to almost cover it.
When almost tender add from two to three cups of
uncooked rice, and let stew slowly until the chicken is thoroughly
done and the rice has absorbed all the liqour. The rice must
not be stirred but care must be taken that it does not stick.
All of the broth should be absorbed by the rice. Season well. Serve
on platter with the chicken surrounded by the rice. In the South
red pepper is used, but this is optional.

Mrs. Will Hayes,
Wife of the Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Orange Marmalade

6 Oranges
1 Grapefruit
1 Large lemon
sugar
water

Squeeze the juice from the fruit. Put the skins
through the food-chopper and add to the juice.
To every cup of the mixture add three cups of water.
Soak twenty-four hours. Boil for one hour and let stand
for twenty-four hours. To every cup add three-fourths cup of
sugar; more if taste requires it. Boil about one hour or until
it gives a jelly test. This amont makes about fifteen glasses.

Miss Mary Garret Hay, New York.
Chairman of the league of Women Voters.

No comments: